TechsPlace | Google Drive is one of the popular cloud storage services provided by Google to its users. Now that everything is moving to the cloud, users store almost all their data only in the cloud. There are several reasons why Google Drive is so popular among users. In addition to that, Google Drive has 15 GB of free storage space that can be used to hold your data. However, every Google account has one Google Drive associated with it, and it has become more common to have more than one Google account these days.
Therefore, when users run out of space or want to migrate their data into a new domain, they look for a solution for Google Drive to Google Drive migration. Migrating Google Drive to another domain is one of the best options that one can be done to enhance the storage space without spending a penny on it. Now, the question arises on how to migrate files from one Google Drive account to another?
Migrate Google Drive to Google Drive Economically
If you are also facing any similar query, then you are at the right place certainly. In this blog, we have mentioned multiple ways to migrate from one Google Drive to another Google Drive account. In addition to this, we have also covered to migrate ownership across different domains here.
Some Common Scenarios Faced by the Users
Basically, I want to migrate data from my personal Gmail account to my domain account. I’m not sure if it’s possible to perform Google Drive to Google Drive migration, that is, from a personal to a domain account. This is why I am here and looking for a solution. If anyone knows an easy approach for the same, please suggest.
Manually Migrate Google Drive to New Domain with Ownership?
When migrating data between Google Drive, the data can be divided into three parts: owner, editor, and viewer. You can now assign only edit or view permissions to multiple users at one time. Only one person can own a file at a time. With these permissions in mind, I encountered two different situations when migrating Google Drive to a new domain.
Scenario 1: Migrate files from one Google Drive account to another
If you want to move Google Drive to another Google Drive in the same domain that has ownership, you can do it in two different ways.
Migrate Ownership of Files between Two Google Drives
Once you become the owner of a particular file, you can change its ownership by following these steps:
- Open Google Drive from which you are migrating files.
- Then select the files or folders you want to migrate and click the share icon from above.
- Next, enter the email address of the account to migrate ownership. Click on the Share >> Save button.
- Then click the Details button in the lower right corner of the same window.
- Click on the drop-down menu for the name of the person you want to be the owner of the file/folder.
- Then, select the Owner option and click the Finish button.
- Finally, click the Send button to complete the process.
Scenario 2: Migrate Google Drive to New Domain- With Ownership
To migrate files from one Google Drive account to another, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
- First, open the desired Google Drive account where you need to migrate files.
- Then select all the files you want to migrate to the new domain and move them only to folders in the same drive.
- You can now share this folder with Google Drive outside your domain by simply entering the email address of your new domain account.
- Then log in to the desired Google Drive.
- Here you will see the folder in Shared with Me folder.
- Then you need to migrate that folder from Shared Items to My Drive.
Just keep in mind: Even after migrating the folder, ownership is still taken by the original account. You cannot change ownership outside your account.
- Open the Google Drive app on your local machine using your new domain account to take ownership.
- Now navigate to the Shared With Me folder and right-click on the folder.
- Then, select Duplicate for Mac OS users and Copy>>Paste for Windows OS users.
- Duplicate the folder and create a non-domain user as the folder owner.
Recommended Solution by the Experts
If you are looking for an automated solution to migrate Google Drive files to another Google Drive account, try SysTools Google Drive Migrator Tool. One of the simplest, smartest, and most cost-effective applications to meet all your small or large migration requirements. This allows users to migrate data from person to domain, domain to a person, person to person, domain to a domain account.
With this application, you can easily migrate permissions, shared folders, trash folders from one Google Drive account to another, and make sure there is no data loss.
Whenever it comes to migrating data items from Google Drive to another account, users start searching for multiple feasible solutions. Considering all the small or key requirements of our users, we have figured out both manual and professional ways to migrate files from one Google Drive account to another. Try them and simplify the drive migration process.