How to Jailbreak an Amazon Firestick
TechsPlace | An Amazon Firestick is a popular streaming device that’s loaded with features, allowing you to convert your regular TV with an HDMI port to a Smart TV! With a Firestick, you can stream a ton of content from various sources, such as streaming platforms, online paid TV channels and the like. But while this is all fun and games, there is one drawback: You have to pay all the hefty subscription fees to watch content!
That’s where jailbreaking comes along, but how do you do that on your own? Read on as I talk about how you can jailbreak an Amazon Firestick and why a jailbroken Amazon Firestick is actually advantageous for you and the household!
The Benefits of Jailbreaking Your Amazon Firestick
You’re probably wondering: What does jailbreaking your Amazon Firestick mean? This concept began in July 2015, when Amazon removed a popular media application from the Amazon App Store, Kodi. Because of this, all Firestick users couldn’t watch free shows and movies.
But with Firestick hacking, known as jailbreaking, allows you to side-load Kodi APK on your Firestick using different methods. What makes this so beneficial?
This is because jailbreaking your Amazon Firestick means you can install various third-party applications and get free accessibility to content you want to see.
Meaning, you can watch all the free content you want, saving you money in the long run! No need to spend tons of money on various subscription fees, so you get your money’s worth with your Firestick
How to Jailbreak an Amazon Firestick
Now that you know what jailbreaking your Amazon Firestick means and why it’s a good option to consider, how do you do it yourself? While you can pay for a jailbroken Firestick or have someone do it for you for a fee, did you know you can do it on your own? Yes, people sell jailbroken Amazon Firesticks for up to $50 more than the original price!
While it isn’t easy, it isn’t the toughest process, with anyone being able to do it with the proper constructions and a good third-party add-on. With that said, here are the steps to follow:
- Prepare Your Firestick for Jailbreaking
Before you begin jailbreaking your Amazon Firestick, you first need to prepare for the process. Perform these easy steps before you begin any jailbreaking method:
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘My Preferences’.
- Go to ‘Privacy Settings’ and then ‘Device Usage Data’
- Turn this option OFF, along with the ‘Collect Apps Usage Data’ option.
- Click the ‘Back’ button on your remote, then select ‘Data Monitoring’.
- Switch OFF Data Monitoring, then click the “Back” button twice.
- Scroll to the Right then select ‘My Fire TV’.
- Go to ‘Developer Options’ and select ‘Apps From Unknown Sources’.
- Click ‘Enable Apps From Unknown Sources’
- And you’re done and ready for the actual jailbreaking process! This is done so installing apps and performing certain jailbreaking steps is seamless and without hassle.
- Also, do take note that if you invested in an Amazon Firestick after October 2020, then you won’t have the option to do so, so you can simply continue with the process I’ll talk about below.
- How to Jailbreak Your Amazon Firestick
Now, on to performing the steps to jailbreak your Amazon Firestick:
- After you switched on ‘Enable Apps From Unknown Sources’, press the Home button on your remote.
- Go to the Search menu and type the word ‘Downloader’. Click the ‘Download’ button to download this app.
- Look into a third-party application that permits you to download the Kodi APK. For instance, after you have download Downloader, you can install FileLinked, which is a third-party application to install multiple third-party apps. A file will then download on your Amazon FireStick.
- Select Install once download is done. If you have bought an Amazon Firestick after October 2020, you’ll see a pop-up appear after selecting ‘Install’. Be sure to click on Settings shown from the pop-up and after it brings you there, select ‘Install Unknown Apps’, and toggle the app you want to install to the option ‘ON’.
- Kodi will now be installed on your FireStick. After this, you can select Open on the Kodi app and enjoy free content!
Before you begin jailbreaking your Amazon Firestick, you need to be wary!
Governments and ISPs worldwide monitor online activities. If you’re caught streaming copyrighted content on a jailbroken Amazon Firestick, you can get yourself in deep trouble.
Your current IP address is visible to everyone, which is why it’s important to hide your identity to avoid getting caught watching copyrighted media. To do so, you need a reputable and strong VPN for your Amazon Firestick, which you can also find and subscribe to online.
While there may be a fee for your VPN (either a one-time fee of subscription), it saves you more in the long run and has you stream from various platforms with just one subscription rather than multiple ones. These are better than free VPNs, which can harvest personal data.
Wrapping It Up
I hope that this quick guide on jailbreaking an Amazon Firestick helped you out. If you plan to jailbreak your Amazon Firestick, make sure to follow these steps properly and you can enjoy the benefits it offers. Good luck!
If you have any questions or want to share your own tips and experiences with jailbreaking an Amazon Firestick, let us know in the comments section below. Your thoughts are much appreciated.