TechsPlace | The gaming industry is booming today. This is because video game technology has come a long way, and the games we get to play today are highly advanced and deliver amazing experiences. This also means that competition has increased for the game developers in video game companies, especially the indie game developers and small studios.
If you are a game developer and want to establish yourself as a brand in the gaming industry, then a good logo can help you big time. This brings up the question- what does an ideal gaming logo look like? Let’s find out.
Characteristics of a Good Gaming Logo
The following are some of the main qualities of a gaming logo:
- Memorability: A good gaming logo is unique and original. So, you are free to study other popular logo designs and borrow some of the design elements from them. However, when you create your gaming logo, make sure it’s 100% original.
- Simplicity: One of the most important things to consider when creating logos is simplicity. A gaming logo has to be simple to be memorable. If you will make the design too complex and elaborate, it may look nice but not many people will be able to register the design in their minds. So, try to keep the logo as simple as possible.
- Timelessness: When designing your video game logo, ask yourself- will this logo be as famous and relevant 10 years or 20 years from today? If your answer is “no”, then scrap the idea and start afresh. Remember- your logo should be timeless. So, don’t just pick a design based on what’s trending today. Instead, think long-term and lean towards classic designs that will remember popular for decades.
- Versatility: An ideal gaming logo will be versatile. In other words, you should be able to use it in many places- promotional t-shirts, key chains, billboards, etc. Also, it should look good in both color and black-and-white. So, when you are finalizing a design, apply a greyscale filter on it to see if it still looks good.
- Appropriate Colors and Fonts: Your gaming logo should have the perfect colors and fonts. This is because different colors and fonts reflect different emotions. For instance, there are formal fonts such as Times New Roman and Garamond. Then there are also informal and edgy fonts (ideal for logos) such as script fonts. In the same way, colors express emotions (RED= passion, fire, energy, etc.; BLUE=Trust, Reliance, etc.). So, pick the colors and fonts carefully.
Top Memorable Logos for Inspiration
There are plenty of gaming logo ideas that you can find online. For now, the following are some of the most well-known gaming logos that you can study and draw inspiration from:
Sega is one of the top leaders in the gaming industry. It became operational in the 1940s and used different logos throughout its journey. However, it adopted the iconic logo that we all know of (see the image above) in 1975. Since then, the logo has essentially remained the same. The company doesn’t need to change the logo anyway as it’s truly unique, yet simple to be memorable.
Almost every modern gamer knows video game developer Rockstar. The company is largely known for the iconic Grand Theft Auto and Max Payne series. Perfectly living up to the company’s brand is the Rockstar logo. The company has used the logo in different variations over several years (used different background colors, for instance). However, the logo’s foundation has been the same- a large R with a star at the bottom-right end of the letter.
Naughty Dog is another renowned game developer which is known for The Last of Us and Uncharted series. The company’s logo is simple yet professional, and it clearly reflects the kind of games they make- fun, harmless, and full of adventure.
So, there you have it- some of the most popular gaming logos and their history.