TechsPlace | The ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) is designed to standardize, select, plan, deliver, and maintain processes of IT services. It also helps stabilize the processes within an organization and the services provided to the customers. To put it in simpler terms, the framework improves efficiency, which helps to achieve the predicted service delivery. The entry-level certification from ITIL is its Foundation course that demonstrates a candidate’s knowledge of key concepts and practices of ITIL.
There have been more than a million Foundation certifications awarded for previous ITIL versions. The ITIL Foundation Certification doesn’t have any expiry date, and you won’t need further education to maintain your credentials.
What is the format of the ITIL foundation certification exam?
To earn the certification, you have to attempt an exam in which you need to answer 40 multiple-choice questions and get at least 26 of them correct. There are four options for each question, and you need to select the best answer. You will be awarded one mark for each correct answer. The duration of the exam is 1 hour. If you are taking the exam in a language that is not your working or native language, you may be given 25% extra time, which means you would get 75 minutes to answer all the questions. The exam is a closed book one, and it is not permitted to use any material other than the specified exam materials.
You can take your exam at a testing center, or your provider may even enable you to take an online exam without having to go to an exam center. If you choose the online exam option, make sure you have a webcam. You will be greeted by a proctor who will guide you through the exam process and will observe when you take the exam.
After you complete your online exam, you will be required to post an exam survey, where your provisional score will be displayed on the screen. The final score will be available to you within two business days, along with an e-certification. You can also request a hard copy of the certificate, which may involve additional charges.
Is it mandatory to undergo certification training?
It is unnecessary to take the ITIL Foundation course before sitting for the certification examination, although it is highly recommended that you undergo the training. In particular, if you have plans to get higher-level certifications from ITIL in the future, getting formal training would be worth the effort. This is because the training involves a detailed discussion about how everything fits together rather than just passing the Foundation exam.
The cost of taking the exam depends on your country and the course provider you choose. Usually, training organizations include the examination cost in their course fee. These organizations can also administer examinations just after you complete your training.
What will you learn?
Any comprehensive ITIL foundation training program aims to help candidates gain the ITIL Foundation certification and kick start their career as ITSM professionals. You will learn how quality services can be delivered in IT-enabled enterprises with additions to the ITIL framework. The courseware includes immersive learning with mock tests and assessments included. You can go to instructor-led training or online self-paced learning. By the time you complete your course, you will learn the following:
- A comprehensive understanding of ITIL4 generic service management terminologies
- Scoping of ITIL framework
- Get to know about the applicability factors and objectives of the four dimensions of service management
- Learn about the service value chain activities
- A demonstration of how the four dimensions are influenced by external factors
- Building a service value chain at a basic level for:
- New service with the use of a new operating model
- Service restoration with the use of a new operating model
- Change request with the use of a new operating model
- Learn how to adopt the guiding principles by comprehending necessary factors and objectives
- Know about basic governance modeling and structuring
- General concepts and scope of service value system
- Learn how to apply continual improvement register
- Basic knowledge of the activities of Problem Management, Incident Management, Change Enablement, Service Desk, Service Request Management, Continual Improvement Practices, and Service Level Management
- Know about the objectives of Service Continuity Management, Information Security Management, IT Asset Management, Service Configuration Management, Deployment Management, Release Management, Event and Monitoring Management, Supplier Management and Relationship Management
What benefits do you get from the course?
It is because of the versatility of ITIL that it is not much in demand and well-appreciated all over the world. It has been designed considering the varying needs of different organizations, which allows them to customize it as per their needs. Since ITIL is so scalable and flexible, it can be easily aligned to or adapted with other practices like COBIT, TOGAF, or Six Sigma.
The ITIL Foundation course is available in different formats so you can learn at your convenience. You can choose instructor-led training or online self-learning course, whichever suits you the best. The courseware includes different modules that help you understand the practical and theoretical aspects of the latest V4 version of ITIL. You will be introduced to ITIL and its key concepts and guiding principles. You will also learn about the four dimensions of service value system, service value chain, and service management. Lastly, the courseware also explores ITIL management practices, relationship management, information security management, and more.
Throughout the course, you will get sufficient preparation for your exam in the form of questionnaires, sample papers, and tips to clear the exam and gain the ITIL Foundation certificate. The best trainers in IT will guide you throughout the course. The personal benefits if ITIL foundation training includes:
- Get a detailed insight into the ITIL framework, which will help you better manage your work.
- Improve your job prospects and earning potential.
- The blended learning modules help you gain expertise in management skills
- Get to know about the common terminologies used across different industries
- Build competencies and skills relevant to the industry